And Miles to go Before I Sleep

My nice quiet existence has, the past few days, been turned Topsy-turvy. My Husband Greg has Policystic Kidney and Liver disease. His liver is filled with hundreds of water-filled cysts. Needless to say it is very uncomfortable. Also, as he says, “I’m sick of looking nine months pregnant”.

Well, the doctors agree with his outlook and he’s going to get them operated on; no small fact in its self. Unnervingly, we have to travel from our Schoharie, NY home to Boston for the operation, and I don’t have a driver’s license.

Whew! I think you’re probably getting the idea what we’ve been going through. I have been working as the New York coordinator of the trip and preparations since Friday.

I sprang to it and started making my lists. I had to find a driver, someone to feed the critters and someone to bring Greg back home. Luckily, we have wonderful friends and family who all wanted to help out.

My sister offered to drive to Boston because she had the time to take off. This was decided as soon as we found out we only had three days to plan. Greg’s father offered to bring him home. Phew! Two loads off of my mind. The other things could wait a few days.

Oh, did I mention that we would have to leave at 2am to get Greg to the New England Medical Center, where the experts are? Ya, it was going to be a fun trip.

On Friday night the Medical Center calls; the surgery is moved up two hours. Great news, we wouldn’t have to leave until 4am. Good for all involved with the trip to Boston.

We spent the weekend stocking the house, and packing. I wasn’t going to be able to stay in Boston, so Greg wanted to make sure I had everything I would need. We actually forgot to check the weather.

Sunday, we finally sat down and watched the news. Oh man, there was a Nor’easter heading our way for Monday, our travel day. Now we had a snowy ride to look forward to. No fear, my sister didn’t mind driving in the snow. Good, a disaster averted. Sunday night we slept well in the knowledge all was on track for the trip.

Now it’s Monday morning, Greg checks in at work and then does some last minute things. The phone rings, it’s the hospital. The surgery has been moved back again. Oh Great! And it’s snowing! OK we can handle it.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>